Sunday, August 4, 2013

four miles of "WTF was I thinking?!"

Saturday was my first run over a 5k in a very long time.  I'm actually not entirely sure the last time I exceeded a 5k.  I'm confident that in 2010 when my longest "training run" for my last half marathon (with Lilly who somehow routinely doesn't train for these things and is fine, you bastard) was 6 miles, I'm confident that that year I ran over 3.1 miles.  I guess I'm fairly certain I've done some 3.5 mile runs since then as well.  But what I'm saying here is that I usually tap out around 3.1 miles.  That was not the case on Saturday.

The run:  I fueled for my run like a boss: bagel sando, donut for dessert, half a grande cafe au lait.  Wait, what do you mean that's not running fuel?  Here's what I have to say: it's better than last year when I had a cheeseburger and fries an hour before a 5k and had to stop at mile 2 because we ran past a restaurant and the smell of the fries almost made me toss my dinner.  So what I'm saying is that donuts are better fuel than burgers.  Also, waiting 2 hours post bagel donut breakfast bonanza is a good call.  The run started out fine, but slower than I wanted.  It did not improve when at mile 1 I made the turn onto a straight mile of obnoxious incline.  Today I will say I'd rather a short but steep hill than a mile long incline.  In October I may want to shank my today self for saying that.  Lilly can vouch that when faced with an incline I turn into a whiny bia and occasionally resort to singing to cheer myself.  On this run I was just dejected by the incline.  It did not help that at the end of the incline I turned right and had another half mile of incline.  It also did not help that I decided I would use my old 3 mile route by my parents' house and just wing it on tacking on an additional mile.  I have no sense of distance, I'm not sure why I thought adding an extra couple of blocks would do it, but I was wrong.  I ended up adding a nice little downhill section (regrettably followed by more incline, ugh), and then just having to run a half mile past my parents' house to get myself to 4 miles.  In total I ran about a 10:30 pace.  That's faster than my pace for my  previous halfs, but slower than I had hoped to be able to run the Nike.  Realistically I should probably be really impressed if I can manage that pace.

Knee injury update:  started seeing a new physical therapist.  It's possible by knee pain is due to an IT band issue.  It's also possible I'm in overly stabilizing running shoes (I wear the adrenaline GTS, I think Lilly does too).  My PT is having me test of the Ravenna on Thursday, update to follow.  My PT has also put me on an IT ban foam rolling regimen.  Tonight I whimpered and yelped through the 6 minutes she's prescribed.  I was promised that after a few days it wouldn't be quite as bad.  Today is day one.

Ideas needed: I want to have something funny on the back of my tank for the race.  So far all I've found that I love is "did someone just fartlek?"

No comments:

Post a Comment