Friday, August 2, 2013

thoughts on compression shorts

You guys... Lilly suggested that I try compression shorts.  Or maybe she wore them and I felt like I should be wearing them too if I wanted to be taken seriously.  Or maybe it just got "too damn hot for a penguin to be walking around" (in capris).  Lilly, that's a Billy Madison reference.  Lilly is not a movie quoter, but you can expect movie quotes from me.  Regardless, I bought a pair over fourth of July  week and then shoved them in my dresser in shame.  They show too much skin.  They give me slight muffin top unless I pull them up higher than I usually wear my capris.  They are not see through and they do not cause the dreaded toe.  So the other day, second night of bastille days in Milwaukee, it was hot out and I went for a run with a friend and I thought, this is the chance to try them.  But I'm self conscious, so I wore an attention grabbing lulu tank (link below) that covers my butt.  

You guys... I looked like a volleyball player, and the compression made my legs look thinner.  I would be lying if I told you I didn't strut my way out of my building.  My building has a long hallway with chandeliers and mirrors.  It's very 1920s glamorous.  So I did my little strut walk, got my friend, and ran 2 miles as prescribed.  

Review of underarmour compression shorts, mid length:  Flattering in the legs, not flattering at the waist.  Stayed in place nicely, they did not do the dreaded ride up while I ran.  Zero toe situation.  Soft fabric.  Major complaints:  I'm mildly concerned they might be a little sheer and I didn't like the fit at the waist.

Review of my beloved lulu tank:  first thing's first, this is a tank with a built in bra and the bra lists as "low support."  I bought this tank to wear to barre.  Then I scheduled a running date and thought "I am wearing my tank bc I look good in this thing," so I did a test run in it.  I would say I'm on the slightly higher end of average in bust size, certainly not huge, but definitely not flat.  I love this tank for running.  It breathes.  It's supportive.  It's eye catching and distracts people from thinking about my compression shorts.  Also, it's sexy.  Who doesn't like to feel hot when they run if it's not at the expense of performance/comfort?  When I say it's supportive, I should caveat that I do not have broad shoulders and I have small ribs, so I'm able to buy lulu tops in a smaller size, which may add to the support.  I also love that the bra is lined, so if I wanted to wear this out during the day before meeting up for a run, it'd be totally fine.  Or if I just wanted to wear it as a shirt, totally fine.  I also like that this covers my not insubstantial booty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment